The Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares seeks investment results, before fees and expenses, that track the S&P 500® Volatility Response Index. There is no guarantee the fund will meet its stated investment objective.
|Current Exposure Levels (Since 3/2/2015)|
Key Features of the Fund
- The strategy follows a quantitative rules-based equity index that seeks to mitigate risk by dynamically changing total equity exposure based on volatility signals.
- The strategy reallocates exposure between equities and U.S. Treasury Bills (T-Bills) based on recent volatility levels of the S&P 500® Index.
- The strategy employs a downside risk mitigation strategy during periods of higher volatility and increases equity exposure when appropriate.
- The strategy aims to provide an improved risk/return profile relative to traditional beta investing.
The Strategy at Work
VSPY’s exposure to equities within the S&P 500 index is determined using a target volatility level.
- The Index establishes a volatility target which may be set at 12.5%, 15%, or 17.5%, and is determined based on the recent levels of CBOE Volatility Index (VIX®).The Index then reviews several volatility factors of the S&P 500 Index.
- The volatility factors of the S&P 500 Index are exponentially weighted with more emphasis placed on the most recent historical periods.
- Those volatility factors, along with the target volatility levels, determine the Index’s exposure to the equity component and the Treasury Bill component.
- The percentage exposure to the equity component is expected to range between 10% and 100%, and will not exceed 100%. Exposure to the Treasury Bills component is expected to range between 0% and 90%.
Based on certain changes in the volatility factors, the Index may be rebalanced as frequently as daily. However, regardless of whether these changes occur, the Index will rebalance at least monthly.
Examples of Exposure Levels Based on Index Volatility
The following tables provide example exposure levels to the Stock Component that the Fund would have at target volatility levels of 12.5%, 15% and 17.5% based on hypothetical volatility calculations.
The charts above are hypothetical and not representative of Fund holdings. There is not guarantee the fund will meet the stated objective.
1 beta – a number describing the relation of returns with those of the financial market as a whole
The S&P 500® Volatility Response Index is designed to:
- Respond to the volatility of the S&P 500® Index.
- Target a specific volatility level by adjusting its allocation between equities and U.S. Treasury Bills.
- Adjust based upon volatility levels of the S&P 500 Index.
- Increase exposure to T-Bills and decrease exposure to Equities when volatility increases.
- Increase exposure to equities and decrease exposure to T-Bills when volatility declines.
- Respond and rebalance as often as daily if the target volatility level passes the methodology’s threshold parameters. Under normal circumstances the Index rebalances monthly.
One cannot directly invest in an index.
|Bloomberg Index Symbol||SPXVRT|
|Gross Expense Ratio||0.88%|
|Net Expense Ratio||0.45%*|
|Inception Date||Jan 11, 2012|
Pricing and Performance
NAVs and market price information as of March 03, 2015
|Ticker||Fund Name||NAV||NAV Change $||NAV Change %||Market Price Closing||Market Price Closing Change($)||Market Price Closing Change(%)||Premium / Discount|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||60.03||-0.25||-0.41||59.93||-0.12||-0.20||-0.10|
NAVs and market price information as of March 03, 2015
|All data as of 2/28/2015|
|Ticker||Fund Name||1 Mo %||3 Mo %||YTD %||1 YR %||3 YR %||5 YR %||10 YR %||Since Inception||Inception Date||Expense Ratio* (Gross/Net %)|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||NAV||-2.66||-0.89||-2.66||11.12||14.96||14.99||0.88 / 0.45*|
* The Net Expense Ratio includes management fee and other operating expenses, but does not include expenses such as brokerage commissions. The Fund’s advisor, Rafferty Asset Management, LLC has entered into an Operating Expense Limitation Agreement with the Fund. Under this agreement, Rafferty has contractually agreed to cap all or a portion of its management fee and/or reimburse the Fund for Other Expense through September 1, 2016 to the extent that the Fund’s Total Annual Fund Operating Expenses exceed 0.45%.
The performance data quoted represents past performance. Past performance does not guarantee future results. The investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate. An investor’s shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance quoted. Returns for performance under one year are cumulative, not annualized. For the most recent month-end performance please visit the funds website at www.direxioninvestments.com.
Short-term performance, in particular, is not a good indication of the fund’s future performance, and an investment should not be made based solely on returns. Because of ongoing market volatility, fund performance may be subject to substantial short-term changes. For additional information, see the fund’s prospectus.
|Ticker||Fund Name||Record Date||Ex Date||Pay Date||Income Dividend||Short-Term Capital Gain||Long-Term Capital Gain|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.24016|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||1.04596|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.16254|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.23256||0.11733|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.31652|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.1884|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.20211|
|VSPY||Direxion S&P 500 Volatility Response Shares||0.18005|